Sunday, November 30, 2008

Art of Communication - Dating Commentary #29

Although the posts have been regular, there has been quite a lull between when I wrote my last post and today. Communication has been a key theme in my life lately - at work and in dating. Communication breakdowns or different methods of communicating, can cause a lot of problems. In a dating relationship, it may not matter that everything like family, religious beliefs, long term goals, etc line up if communication is failing. In fact, folks with the same way of communicating may not line up always instead I think the 2 people need to have complimentary forms of communicating. Body language, actions, and words all make up communication and it is key to do this right in dating.

When folks say that they aren't fighting in a relationship, I usually think that means that they aren't communicating. It is good to argue, get your point out, talk about your feelings. Just because you are dating, it doesn't mean that you should see eye to eye on everything. In fact, I wouldn't want to see eye to eye on everything. I would like to have lively conversations and different interests so I can expand my world beyond just me.

So, lesson learned...be a good communicator even if in the end it hurts. At least you tried and you learned something from the experience.

No comments:

web stats