Sunday, February 04, 2007

Home Depot

I was driving near a Home Depot this weekend - it is actually a closed Home Depot but has always been a spot where folks hang around waiting to pick up work. I watched a mini-van drive through the empty parking lot and the van was literally swarmed by people. If I had been inside, I think I would have been more than a little bit afraid. Apparently the folks in the mini-van weren't looking to pick up day laborers and continued to make their way through the parking lot. After witnessing this, I thought why does this group of 20+ men stand and wait to see if they might get work day after day. It was already lunchtime by then and I don't think too many people would start to look for workers after lunch but maybe they do. How could you live day to day, hoping to get work and being so desperate to beat out your neighbor for work that you would swarm a car? I can't event imagine a life like that. I suppose they do it becasue they are illegal immigrants and can't do legit work. But how sad.

No comments:

web stats