Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Phone is a Lost Artform

Folks don't really use the phone anymore to communicate. Now you may say, "wait a minute, I use my cell all the time." True, I use the phone when I am in the car and traveling from point A to point B to past the time away. But, when I am trying to make plans with friends, do I call them? No, I usually email them and then get irritated when they don't email me back. Could I pick up the phone and make plans? - Yes. But do I? No. As a back up to email, I text message. Believe it or not, talking is a lot better than email. Sometimes email misses or enhances the tone of an email. I may type something that someone interprets as me yelling at them when that was not my intention at all.

So over the last month, I have been trying to do better about calling folks. Instead of just emailing to see how someone is doing, I try to call them. Instead of just emailing to make plans, I try to call. I also am trying not to wait for people to call people. I realized last month that if you looked at my phone, most of the calls were received calls and not dialed calls. So in light of the phone being replaced by email and text message, I am making an effort to communicate better and reach out to my friends.

No comments:

web stats