Monday, September 11, 2006

Vacation in Italy

I wish I had kept a journal the last 10 days so I could look back and read my thoughts and experiences of my vacation in Italy. After every vacation (or at least a good one), I think it is important to reflect on what you learned and how you want to make changes in your life or what new things you want to try. After being part of the real world now for 1 day, I think I have lost some of the deep thoughts that I came back with. I do want to savor this moment and be able to relive it, so I thought what place better to do that than my blog. So here are my thoughts...

Spending 10 days in Italy was awesome - in fact, awesome doesn't even do the experience justice. I think everyone should take a week vacation every year so they can get out of the normal routine and experience something new, learn to appreciate what you take for granted, and get a little R and R. If you can go somewhere exotic, like Italy the definitely do it. It is so great to see another culture. You learn to appreciate free bathrooms in the US but you appreciate the people of another country and eat and enjoy their gelato! Tuscany is beautiful. Looking out on our villa into the rolling hills full of sunflowers, olive trees, and grapes is amazing. Each day I got up to fog and watching it slowly burn off and reveal the wonders around. I ate pasta with amazing flavors (my new favorites are a bread crumb pici and pesto gnocchi) and enjoyed the Italian pizza and of course the wine. I wish I knew more about the wine - we had 3 wine tastings during the trip and I wish I had understood more about the grapes and what makes a wine and about DOCG - after this trip, I want to learn more about all of that. I also have a list of movies to see: Under the Tuscan Sun, Roman Holiday, Gladiator. Anchorman (so I get all the jokes from the week).

On Thurs, I sat by the pool and looked out on the hills and just savored the moment and took a mental photograph that I hope to never forget. I was truly part of an experience for the last 10 days. About 30 people lived, ate, traveled, shared, and attended a wedding for our dear friends. Nothing can take the memories away and no one can truly understand the full experience unless you were there. The bride couldn't have been more beautiful and the hillside wedding was out of a story book. The love between the bride and groom and their families was visible. The joy on the friends' faces and the bonds made are strong. I hope to keep the friendships made (go F Team) but I know it will never match what we did in Italy - sharing 4 plates of food in Sienna, waiting on the ring, Mousse gelato, holding my hand as I climbed the leaning tower of Pisa as my fear of heights took over, seeing Fibonacci, drinking Orangchotas at the train station, shopping in Florence, finding the restaurant and market that I visited over 6 yrs ago, late night talks in the kitchen, the wine tastings, bed hopping throughout the villa, trips to the trains, drinks at the NY Bar, luggage left line in Rome, the Coliseum and Vatican, 3 hrs of sleep in the Courtyard Marriott, the endless food on the flight back from Rome. I have made new friends and miss having 30 people around me to do something with 24-7, I didn't even miss my normal "me" time that comes from being alone for the majority of the time. Thanks to Jimmy and Angela for inviting me on this amazing experience - I am glad that I could share it with you!




Things I want to do/remember from the trip:
- Remember that you don't always have to be so busy, it is okay to stop and smell the roses. Italians are way more laid back than Americans.
- Learn the language or the basics before you visit. You want to revert to Spanish as a back-up but that may not work.
- Family is important - take time to enjoy your time with them.
- Take a special vacation each year. Make sure it is at least a week long because you need that much time away from work.
- Go abroad. See history. See a different culture. Eat new foods. Get out of your comfort zone.
- Save money to go on said vacation - eat in instead of out, don't buy that shirt that you want, etc.
- There is nothing like spending 10 days with strangers to help you bond. I miss the days of college where someone was always around to do something. Your friends are important - both old and new friends
- Keep a journal (on vacation and maybe every day)
- Learn something new or have a new hobby - don't get stuck in the grind of every day

No comments:

web stats