Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Social Networking

This is a topic that I find very fascinating and I think most people that blog or use other social networking type websites, will too. Here are some articles about social networking from the New Scientist which I got originally from The Impact of Social Networking on Society.

1. Living online: The end of privacy by Alison George
2. This is your space by Amanda Gefter
3. I'll have to ask my friends by Sherry Turkle
4. I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by Google by Bruce Sterling

One article mentions how folks have no qualms about putting their personal information or personal thoughts on the web yet they don't go around work shouting about their religon, favorite band, etc. Now many companies are googling names and looking up information about their potential new hires on the web. Often times employers find information that they rather not know (ie how drunk you got last night) and will probably use this information against you. Why do folks (including me) think it is okay to post to the world intimate details yet you would never say half of the things to your friends, family, or co-workers.

The articles do caution users from posting personal information and point out that websites such as myspace do allow users to protect their privaacy but even people that are concerned about their privacy, don't use them. Interesting. Definitely food for thought.

No comments:

web stats