Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Alfredo's and "The Break-Up"

Now I will switch gears and put on my critic hat. Someone recently told me about a hole-in-the-wall Italian place on Cheshire Bridge called Alfredo’s so this weekend I decided to try it out instead of calling on my default favorite restaurant list (Tacqueria, Eats, Figo). When I hear “hole-in-the-wall” restaurant I think of Eats here in Atlanta or The Village Deli in Augusta and I also think cheap. While the prices aren’t absurd, you will end up spending $25 on an entrée and a drink if you go with the pasta and more if you go with a meat entrée. The food was good – I had the capellini pesto – but it wasn’t as good as Scalini’s (who has the best rolls vs the garlic bread at Alfredo’s). It is definitely a hole-in-the-wall and the atmosphere took me back a few years. My party also brought the average age of the customers down by about 20 years – for a minute I thought we had arrived for the early bird senior citizens discount. Aside for not being a typical restaurant that I would try, the service was good and the booths were cozy. I would recommend making reservations because the place is hopping. I probably won’t go back but it was worth the new adventure. Next up, Nino’s also on Cheshire Bridge.

This review may be biased because I like Jennifer Aniston but I really think the critics have been harsh on her last few movies. I thought Derailed was great and Jennifer really only played a small part – it was really a movie focused on Clive Owens’ role and had a good twist at the end. “The Break-up” was somewhere between “Failure to Launch” and “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (with “Failure to Launch” being on the below average side and I am sure that some of your are laughing that I consider “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” as good but that was the best I could come up with as far as good romantic comedies). Vince Vaughn was hilarious – he had a lot of good lines and delivered them in typical Vince Vaughn style (talk fast and lots of punch lines). This romantic comedy was probably the most true to life movie about relationships. Disclaimer: Stop reading if you don’t want to know the ending. Most relationships don’t end happily ever and neither did this movie. This movie was left open to your own interpretation of the ending which is how many relationships end. Most relationships, you wonder if you will get back together , are thankful that you never have to see that person again, or you and your ex end up being friends. With this ending, I think you can interpret the ending to be either the first or the third option based on your own experience. Overall this movie was funny and entertaining, may be worth renting vs going to see it in the theatre.

No comments:

web stats